Of late, we, as a generation, are becoming more and more Cynical. Criticism is a way of life for us. We criticize a lot. When I say 'a lot', I mean "A LOT". We believe in living an unconventional life, breaking taboos, criticizing anything and anyone that remotely resembles the older way of life or perhaps old tastes. We ‘HAVE TO’ criticize.
We
think we are too smart for rest of the humanity and will be doing them a favour
by letting them know that how ‘Frank Sinatra’ is superior to ‘Justin Bieber’;
that if they have not read ‘Kafka’, their life is a waste; that how trekking,
hiking and visiting most exotic locations is the ONLY ‘cool’ way of holidaying
and everything else is passé (If you are wondering what I mean, read this http://www.huffingtonpost.com/william-d-chalmers/are-you-a-travel-snob_b_4645989.html)
. Friendships are not based on common likes, affection or bonding anymore but
on the basis of common dislikes.
With social media everywhere (I
mean literally everywhere !!) and consuming most of our waking up hours, this
fad of showing academic erudition and superior tastes has delve deep into our
psyche without us realising it. So much so that this is not only restricted to shaping
our perceptions about other people in terms of their taste in music, cinema,
books, travel etc. but also our evaluation of the personal choices they make in
THEIR LIVES.
And oh, did I mention ‘Twitter’? Yes, the Mecca of cynicism. The school where
this art is learnt and perfected to its zenith. Everyone over there is an
armchair pundit who believes that tweeting and criticizing will change the
world. It won’t be an exaggeration if twitter site hangs a board which reads ‘Enter
at your own risk’.
As much I would hate to admit, knowingly
or unknowingly, I have had phases where I had problems with the world and its
ways. What I could understand of it is that initially cynicism gives a high and
then it becomes all encompassing depriving you of the happiness of small things
in life. Looking back, there were so many altercations which could be avoided,
so many people who could be befriended, so many jokes which could be laughed at
and so many memories that could be created. But nonetheless, better late than
never J. I am glad, I have finally
arrived at peace.
I couldn’t
agree more when I read somewhere “Cynicism is Intellectual Cowardice…a
Cop-Out to Rationalize Fear and Laziness” and which also propelled this
post.
Having been relieved from this baggage
of judging people, life seems so light and delightful. Even the most logical
amongst us would agree that what one wears, drinks, listen, watch, do with
their life etc. is a matter of HIS/HER choice, not your’s and mine even if the
choice are traditional in literal sense of the word.
If we count our blessings, we
realise that perhaps we are the first generation in our families who have lived
alone, acquired varied experiences in terms of relationships, travel, music,
cinema, food, cultures etc. and have convinced ourselves and society about our
professional and personal capabilities at an extremely young age. We have been
blessed to be born into families which could provide for us, gave us liberty to
fly our wings, make our choices, learn from mistakes and yet be by our side all
the time without judging us.
Let’s try to accept others for
once and dance with them on their music once in a while. Come on, it ain’t that
difficult J
The key you have found, I see in your sentence "Having been relieved from this baggage of judging people, life seems so light and delightful." The ability to see without judging increases as one practices. It is an art.
ReplyDeletebest wishes.
The key you have found, I see in your sentence "Having been relieved from this baggage of judging people, life seems so light and delightful." The ability to see without judging increases as one practices. It is an art.
ReplyDeletebest wishes.