Thursday, May 14, 2026

Happiness is a Place. It's called Bhutan :)

The best part about my Bhutan trip was that I didn’t plan it. It happened, just like all good things in life.

As I sat in my office staring at computer screen just a week before the trip, a watsapp message blinked on my phone “Do you want to join us on our Bhutan trip?”

“Anything immediately will not be possible as leaves won’t be sanctioned in office?” I replied in a matter of fact tone.

The chapter would have ended there but many thanks to the lord above, good sense prevailed and I made up my mind about visiting Bhutan that very day. As luck would have it, I could be away from office for a week in absence of professional commitments and rising temperatures in Delhi were also indicating to take a sojourn somewhere in Hills.


Once again, I had no idea about the composition of my travel group and once again; I met some wonderful people in my group. The awkward “Hi” became loud laughter in a matter of hours and strangers became friends in a matter of a day. Had it not been for the cheekiness of our group leader Neeraj Narayanan, laughter of Jaggi Sisters [Esha & Sadhvi], Selfies of Aditi, random guesses of Mohit in 20 question games, genius of Kruti in dumb charades, perfect clicks of Jay, leg pulling of adorable couple Sachin & Shruti, gyaan of CK, and of course oddities of Moi, this trip would not have been what it was. Add to it the quirkiness of 90s bollywood songs and magic of waterfalls and what we get is a Happy Vacation in a Happy Country.


Sitting in an office in Delhi and living a metro life, it seems incomprehensible how can a country be called Happiest in the world. After all, its people who are supposed to be Happy and not countries, right? Can geography be held responsible for happiness? Or is it the culture? People maybe? Or is it a matter of Faith? Bhutan is such a small country, so money as a factor of happiness is certainly ruled out. So what exactly is it that makes it the happiest country in the world?

An inquisitive soul that I am, an answer had to be found before I leave. And of course, like few other eccentricities of mine, I must find my answers myself. I thought I should explore it a bit more than what meets the eye and I am pleased I experienced what follows in this post:- 

Geography – I have a firm belief that geography of a place somewhere determines the temperament of its natives. Everything about Bhutan’s picturesque beauty exemplifies balance. Whether its stable mountains, flowing river, waterfalls or lush green meadows, nothing engulfs your senses yet nothing leaves you unmoved. Nature knows how to balance itself and there lies the beauty of it.



CultureWarm is the most apt adjective for people of Bhutan. In my seven days stay, I did not hear a single person shouting, honking, being unreceptive or hostile. Thimpu is the only capital in world that does not have traffic lights and traffic is managed by traffic police manually without any incidence of road rage. Natives are sincere and they respect everything that has been created by nature, be it trees, mountains, rivers or animals. The significance of co-existence is understood and revered. In harmony, lies another ingredient of happiness.

 

    Faith – Whether faith is a cornerstone for happiness or not has been and will remain a contentious issue but let’s not forget its faith that can move the mountains. From this perspective, monasteries of Bhutan have to be the most peaceful places one can experience - Beautiful, Serene, Sacred and Mindful. You are neither expected to observe rituals, nor required to offer prayers necessarily. Just be respectful to their tradition and truthful to yourself and you are all good. Peace is within us and not outside is the most important lesson Bhutan taught me about being happy.


     Nothing is static, yet nothing moves. It neither roars, nor woos. It’s not about renunciation, not about embracing either. It is neither attached nor detached. It’s all about everything, yet about nothing. It is about the Rhythm that nature follows and teaches us to follow. Rhythm, like that of flowing water, which neither stops nor destroys but follows its own course at its own pace. Perhaps the most important pillar of Happiness.


I think I have my answer. Just like Happiness, Bhutan is all about Balance, Harmony, Peace and Rhythm.

Photo Credits : Jay Nair


3 comments:

  1. Beautiful Place. Solitude and Stillness.

    "Here the breeze speaks to leaves.
    Here the lake speaks to shores.
    Here the squirrel speaks to grass.
    Here a man can speak to himself.".....Rabjot

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello friend thanks for sharing your wonderful experience in Bhutan. In my last holiday I also visited Bhutan by contacting the best travel agency named as Bhutan Mahayana Tour operator. My favourite exciting spot was Thimphu, Wangdi Tse and see the hidden side of Himalaya. Thanks to my travel agency for their co-operation and giving the best service.Keep blogging!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.